Because I’ve been working long hours, I haven’t been crafting as much as I would like to. Fall is my favorite season, so I’m starting to get back into the swing of things. I jumped the gun and my first fall project of 2015 ended up being a DIY Skeleton Serving Dish. Now, I’m focused and geeked about creating a few items for my home that are welcoming of the season. About a year or so ago I created some Yarn Balloons for a Tye-Dye Party. Ive chosen to use the same method to create a DIY Faux Leaf Art Bowl to display on my re-vamped cocktail ottoman.
I made a trip to Dollar General to pick up the following items:
- 2 packages of Faux Leaves ($1 each)
- Package of round party balloons ($1)
Project Total: $3.00
Tools: (items I already have on hand)
- Mod Podge
- Foam Craft Paint Brush
- Blow Dryer
- Tea Lights
- Tongue Depressor
- I blew up the balloons in 2 different sizes, a large one and a medium sized one and used a flower pot to hold the balloons in place.
- I then applied the mod Podge to both the balloon and the leaves and layered them. Be sure to coat the leaves well when layering so that they hold together. I was having an issue with the leaves sticking together so I paused and used a blow dryer on the cool setting to speed up the drying process before adding more leaves. As you’re pasting the leaves, it best to use a tongue depressor to hold them in place as your drying them.
- I allowed the mod Podge to dry overnight. Once it has dried, release the air from the balloons and carefully peel away from the leaves.
- Voilà… you’re done.
Here’s my FAUX LEAF ART BOWL!
What a beautifully crafted piece of fall decor!!
I’m obsessed with candles (as if you didn’t know), so I placed a small votive holder with a battery operated tea light inside of both of them to make them illuminaries.